Another Favourite Christmas Story
Here is another one of my favourite Christmas stories; also true.
[my previous fav is here http://dereksdharma.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/my-favorite-christmas-story/]
Back when I used to do travel planning for Namgyal Rinpoche, the travel agency I worked out of was in downtown Toronto. One December, just before Christmas, I went to the convenience store across from the office that was run by a Muslim family. Reflexively, I said “Happy Holidays” to the proprietor, and then said “Do you folks close over Christmas?”
“Yes, we’ll be closing” he answered.
“But I thought you were Muslim, not Christian?” I said.
“We are Muslim,” he said, “but we have duties that day as well.”
“Exchanging gifts like we’ll be doing?”
“No, not exactly,” he said. “Last week, at the mosque, our Imam talked to us about this time of year and what it means and how we should observe it. And he asked us all to do something on this day.”
“What are you going to do?”
He was silent for a while; he seemed uncomfortable telling me, but he eventually spoke quietly: “Our Imam asked us all to go out and to give blood, because this was a gift that would be given to others without distinguishing whether the receiver is Muslim, Christian, Jewish–we cannot be selective. We should not prefer this person over that one. We just must give.”
2 Comments »
Leave a Reply
- Qallunology: First Cease to Do Evil; Then Learn to Do Good…
- Upcoming Meditation Classes in Toronto, Ottawa
- Depression, meditation, friendship
- Valentine’s Week Retreat at the Morin Heights Dharma House on the the Four Immeasurables
- The Science of Loving-Kindness Meditation
- Top US Scientist James Hansen in NY Times: Tar Sands = “Game Over for the Climate”
- Appreciating the myriad non-human communications necessary for a healthy living world
- Q to HH the Dalai Lama: What was the happiest moment of your life?
- Another Favourite Christmas Story
- How Do We Look After One Another?
- Climate Damage* is “too complicated” to fix? (but when the banks blow all our money, the worlds’ leaders can pull off the largest financial bailout in history in only a few days?!)
- Nov 14….Francisco “Pancho” Ramos-Stierle and friends, sitting in meditation in front of Oakland City Hall, prior to being arrested.
- Full Contact Enlightenment
- Searching for Satori
- Jizo Chronicles
- Clear Sky (BC)
- HH Dalai Lama's schedule
- Sonam Senge
- Kuniks and Kakivaks
- Buddhism in Canada
- Bonni Ross
- Wangapeka Retreat Centre (NZ)
- Tarchin Hearn
- Chimé Shore
- Awaken Toronto
- Origins Centre (Aus)
- Queenstown Dharma House (NZ)
- Doug Duncan
- Dharma Centre of Canada
- Namgyal Rinpoche
- Brian McLeod
- The PinkyShow.Org (store)